Sunday, January 1, 2012

Parenthood 101 (Day 6)

Well after the most nightmarish night in a long time, 2012 can only get better. OMFG. I thought things were going pretty hunky dorey once I put the kids to bed around 7:00pm, but of course, once again Isla decided to spend the better part of three hours wailing and sobbing at the top of her lungs which kept her brother from sleeping. Couple that with a toilet that decided to stop functioning (and I couldn't find a plunger for) and a whole pile of emotional crap that decided to resurface, it was a shitty night in both the literal and figurative sense. I went to bed around 11pm, and put my iPod earbuds in and tried to fall asleep. No such luck. The pair of them decided to sneak into the same room and carry on till around midnight. When I shut my music off I could hear them laughing and giggling away. They both threw major tantrums, which didn't help my headache in the slightest. They claimed they wanted to sleep in the same bed, and given their mom has been in Cuba for the last week, I figured what the heck? If it will get them to shut up. But no, of course not. I took away Cyrus' handheld video game that the two of them were watching and squealing about which of course brought on tears from him.

Get me the hell out of here! I feel so isolated in this house. I can't leave, I can't socialize with anyone my own age and my only connection to the outside world is my cell phone and my occasional internet time. It sucks.

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache and no patience what-so-ever. It's hard to be tolerant when the two kids you spent half the night trying to get to bed, decide to wake up around 8am bellowing "Old MacDonald had a Farm" at the top of their lungs. I really need to invest in earplugs. Discovered that Cyrus had drawn all over his sister's face with red marker. Thank god it was washable.

Thank god for parents. My dad drove all the way in with a plunger and fixed the toilet situation. Super Daddy to the rescue! Seeing him was also a nice glimpse of reality; that the last five days are not what my life actually looks like. I started crocheting a scarf/ blanket (I'm not sure yet) with variegated yarn which looks super cool so far. The person I was trying to get ahold of all last night texted me back this morning, and I got to take a long hot shower so things are much better than they were this morning.

I'm so exhausted from the escapade last night that I have spent a good chunk of the day napping. I've gotten up to get the kids meals and tidy up the dishes, etc. but wow. I can't remember being this tired in a long time. I've always been a heavy sleeper but when there are two other people in the household who are relying on you, you tend to sleep with one ear open. Shepherds Pie is in the oven, and I'm stoked. Today is a comfort food kind of day. It's been grey and dreary since this morning, and because it poured all afternoon, I didn't take the kids to the park.

I think they sense that I'm not impressed about what happened last night and (fingers crossed) they will go to bed when they are supposed to. I'm starting to think that I'm too much of a control freak to have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment