Thursday, January 26, 2012

January - A Month of Reflection


For Christmas, I got a 2012 calendar from my mom, titled "A Year of Tranquility". Each month has a different flower with a different thought. I figured, as it is nearing the end of the month, to reflect about the new year so far.

I have been happier over the last few weeks than I have been in many many months. Life is great. Work is fabulous as usual and all the volunteer hours I'm doing are keeping me more than busy. As of right now, I'm assistant coaching a badminton team, teaching badminton, teaching/ running a chess club, working in the french classroom, along with all the trivia related stuff I do.

There are a few badminton tournaments coming up in the next few months so I am getting back into competitive shape. I haven't played in a tournament since 1st year of university and am very anxious about getting back out onto the courts to compete.

I went back to Ottawa last weekend to visit. You don't realize how much you love something until it's gone. Ottawa is my home away from home. I love the city, the people, the location and the comfort I feel when I'm there. Ideally after teachers' college I would get a job there. Ottawa is like a comfy worn-in pair of jeans - it fits me well and is comfortable. I miss the transit system, and the bustle of downtown. I got inked again, got my alumni card from the university, hit up the Lululemon Warehouse sale and saw a handful of friends. I miss it already.

I patched things up with the ex, and now we are civil. I realized that staying pissed at him will accomplish nothing but make me bitter and resentful. Clearly he has moved on, so must I. I'll be seeing him in two weeks at the sectional tournament (him as a player and me as a moderator)...we'll see how that goes. I'm still happily single and actually loving it. It's still kind of a weird scenario for me - with Valentine's Day coming up, this will be the first one in the last 4 years that I'll be single. I haven't gone on POF in over a month and refuse to actively search for anything because things are going awesome and I don't want to screw things up by throwing testosterone into the mix.

I've been keeping up with my photo-blogging without so much as a hitch. You don't realize how much you do in a given day until you're motivated to document it. The only issue I'm having is remembering to keep the batteries charged so that my camera is always ready.

I've been trying to avoid using cosmetics and body products that contain SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate) and parabens. Damn those chemicals are in everything! I did manage to find a great smelling brand of shampoo called Bee Natural - the berry one is divine. I also picked up some Organic Orange Blossom toner from P'lovers downtown. My skin looks great! Kiss My Face has a great Vitamin A&E body lotion that I have been using, as well as a Citrus and Wild Mint shower wash that is a great "wake-me-up" in the morning. I also have been using aluminum-free deodorant. Everything I've read leads me to believe that aluminum based deodorants cause breast cancer and I'd like to avoid that at all costs. All these products smell incredible and aren't full of nasty chemicals.

Doing what makes me feel good and not having to factor anyone else into that equation is awesome. It's very liberating. I have always been an independent person, and am only now realizing I don't need a guy in my life to make me happy. I'm quite self-sufficient and resourceful as it turns out :P All of this must seem very cliché to those of you reading. It's very difficult for me to explain how much more aware I am of life in general and trying to live it to the fullest. I have seen the light I suppose haha. There are just so many things to look forward to on a daily basis and am staying motivated to continue on the path I'm on.

I have a to-do list that is constantly evolving and I never have enough time to get everything done. Currently I'm reading 3 books (La bête humaine par Émile Zola, Gerald's Game by Stephen King and House Rules by Jodi Picoult), keeping up with the photo blog, sorting out the remainder of the details regarding the two trivia tournaments next month and trying to finish the second crocheted fingerless glove in the pair. Sigh. And this is on top of everything else. Thank goodness I was blessed with great time management skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment